Getting StartedHere's an overview of what we need and a process overview to help guide you along before we begin!
1) What I need to get started
Your LogoPDF, EPS or high res JPEG or PNG if possible.
Hosting CredentialsYour hosting account login and/or Cpanel username and password.
Wordpress LoginAn administrator login to your current WordPress site. (if this is a redesign of the WordPress site)
Images & PicturesCurrent and/or new images and pictures you’d like to use on the new site.
ContentPage content and any updated verbiage/information for the site.
Style GuideBrand style guide, colors or any specific design requirements.
1) Google Drive
Google Drive is an awesome online platform for communication and project management. This will help alleviate content and images being lost in long email threads. Everyone loves email threads…right?! Once your project is underway, you’ll receive an email to set up your Google Drive if you haven’t already have one and we’ll be off and running!
What is Google Drive? Here’s a link explaining it (LINK)
4) The design process
Designing a website, no matter how big or small, is an extensive process that can be overwhelming. To better help you understand what to expect during the design and development, I’ve outlined my process into 3 steps:
1) Layout and designA large and time consuming part of designing a website is in the planning and layout stage of the process. I’ll create the sitemap (Page/Menu hierarchy) of the website for approval first, then I’ll design the home page and a sub page (or more upon request) for approval.
2) DevelopmentOnce the site layout and design is approved, I’ll move forward with the designing all site pages and implementing all functionality and plugins. We’ll make sure your site looks great and functions nicely across all devices and web browsers before moving to the final step.
3) Edits & RevisionsOnce the site is ready for final review, you’ll be able to review each page and we can make detailed edits until the site is ready for launch. We ask that you please review ALL pages to make sure all spelling, grammar, addresses and information are correct before going live.
UNDER THE HOOD
We try to simplify this process into the three categories, but what’s really going on is this:
- Create page and navigation layout for approval
- Header and footer designed
- Home page designed
- Sub page(s) designed
- Send to client for approval
- Revisions on header, footer, home and sub page
- Once approved, build out remaining pages
- Create templates for standardized sections of website and recurring pages like galleries, projects, products, etc
- Implement all integrations for mail list sign ups, social media, widgets, etc
- Create and test all contact forms
- Adjust and optimize design for mobile and responsive use
- Input necessary SEO settings
- Double check site grammar and content
- Cross browser check and bug fixes
- Send for final review
- Make all final client revisions
- Create client custom dashboard and training video (if necessary)
- Delete unnecessary plugins, images and tools
- Backup site and save locally
- Launch site
5) Wrapping Up & GOING LIVE!
Once the site is ready to go live, all unnecessary plugins, pages, images and backend files will be removed. The new site will be backed up and saved locally, should it ever need restored. Once live, it may take between 24-48 hours for the new site to pull up on some devices. Your browser may need to be refreshed in order to see the new site and though most will see the new site fairly quickly after the launch.
Your website logins and all credentials will be sent to you via basecamp or secure email ensuring the security of your passwords. Though your logins and passwords will be saved by me locally, PLEASE SAVE ALL LOGINS FOR YOUR RECORDS AS WELL. Upon completion, you’ll receive a link to my “moving forward” page where you’ll receive tips and tricks on what to do with your new website and also information on our Maintenance/Security Plan which I highly recommend for all my clients.